Mum charged with murder of daughter, 5, and son, 2, who died in horror car fire

Mum charged with murder of daughter, 5, and son, 2, who died in horror car fire

A mum has been charged with the murder of her own daughter and son who died in a horror car fire down a rural road.

Lynn Egar was arrested after her five-year-old daughter Thelma Dennany and her two-year-old son Mikey were fatally injured in a vehicle blaze in Co. Westmeath, Ireland, around 4pm on September 9.

The 48-year-old appeared before Judge Bernadette Owens at a late special sitting of Mullingar District Court on Thursday evening.

Egar, dressed in a purple hooded zipped top, black trousers and navy shoes, leaned forward and bowed her head at the start of the hearing.

She remained silent throughout the proceedings and following a five-minute hearing was remanded in custody to appear again at Athlone District Court via video link on September 28.

Detectives at Mullingar Garda station arrested her Wednesday after an investigation into the tragedy.

The mum, from Winetown, Co. Westmeath, was detained for 24 hours for questioning before being charged.

Detective Sergeant David Donnelly told Judge Owens that he charged her with two counts of murder at 7.22 pm. “In reply to charge after caution she made no reply,” he said, adding that she was handed a true copy of the charge sheets.

She is accused of the murders of Thelma and Michael Dennany at Lackan, Multyfarnham, on September 9, contrary to common law.

She was not released on bail as the district court does not have the jurisdiction to consider bail in murder cases, which only the High Court can consider.

Defence solicitor Damien Coffey told Judge Owens there was consent to his client appearing by video link at the next hearing. Legal aid was granted after the judge noted the solicitor had shown the investigation team a statement of Egar’s means.

Judge Owens asked Mr Coffey if anything else was required on the remand warrant, but the solicitor replied, “nothing further arises,” and he was granted permission to speak with his client after she was led out of the courtroom. She was remanded to the Dochas Centre, the women’s unit of Mountjoy Prison in Dublin.

The bodies of the two children were returned to the family after gardai completed the formal identification process.

Hundreds of mourners turned out for the children’s funeral service on September 15 at St Mel’s Cathedral before they were laid to rest at Cullyfad Cemetery in Longford.